A Transdermal drug or patch is a medicated adhesive patch that is placed on the skin to deliver a specific dose of medication through the skin and into the bloodstream to provide relief from the pain.
Compared to conventional methods of medication delivery such as oral, topical, intravenous, intramuscular, etc. the advantage of transdermal drug delivery is that the patch provides a controlled release of the medication into the patient, usually through either a porous membrane covering a reservoir of medication or through body heat melting thin layers of medication embedded in the adhesive.
Advantages of Transdermal Patch:
- Reduction of systemic side effects
- No first pass effect. Low dosage unit works efficiently
- Long lasting application with no gastric irritation
- Maintenance of effective blood level of the drug
- Good adhesion and flexibility
- Easy to apply and remove
How to use:
- Select the patch application site closer to the painful area
- Application site must be non-hairy, clean & dry. Wash the site before applying patch
The product under Transdermal drugs are: